Main Content:

Pages: [1]

Going for the Jugular

• Phoenix
  • Promethean
  • Administrator
Going for the Jugular
« on: March 31, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »

I have published a new paper arguing for an overall strategy against the State (not tactics, which is another story). This is not only for the Promethean movement but all who oppose Statism, so please spread it around.

http://www.prometheanmovement.org/membership/Phoenix/article-JugularStrategy.html

NB though: this doesn't pull punches. I wrote this to cut to the heart of the matter. Otherwise admirable pro-freedom dissenters labor wastefully under some awfully poor strategy, in my opinion, and we all have no chance, that way.

Phoenix @ Promethea.org
aka Wisdom Dancer
Promethean, Promethean movement
author, Rising in Words: http://lulu.com/content/2083458
  • Phoenix
  • Promethean
  • Administrator
Re: Going for the Jugular
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:37:40 AM »

I'm just going to reproduce some comments from my blog announcement of this article below, because I think tactics would be a very useful follow-up discussion:

Quote from: Delta
Excellent article. This is where I think keeping our money off-shore would help in this regard aka Sovereign Society - by starving the beast. Or is this way off the mark from "going for the jugular"?

Quote from: me
Glad you liked it. I'm hoping that putting forth a (the only) effective high-level strategy will lead to a targeted discussion to devise the best tactics to make it happen. As I implied in the article, tactics are really the next step. This is exactly the sort of symposium (virtually or personally) we should be holding.

As far as strategy, the tactic you're suggesting is definitely in the ballpark (in the right spirit, anyway) except for the unpopularity/low resources point I made. Presumably, those who actually do have enough resources to make removing it matter are already doing what they can to remove their assets, unless they are invested in the State and making more money by playing the game than they lose. Getting more committed anti-Statists to do it won't make enough of a difference, as far as I estimate. (Not to mention that if it did, the State would take even greater steps to prevent capital flight than they already do.) Like the potential tactic of mass protests against State confiscation of funds, in order to make it an effective reality, there's got to be some sort of tactic bridging us from here to that "Gandhi" point when it could make a real dent. Right now, we are nowhere near there in terms of mass awareness. If we could get everyone loosely displeased and angry with the State to actually unite under the understanding that the State must go, and begin serious attack on its two pillars as I describe, we would at least be at a "Tea Party" moment. Sadly, we are far from that—so I would assume that getting there educationally among anti-Statists at large is a necessary objective tactically. As I pointed out, most just don't get how ineffectual their stabs are. (Thus, you might say my article was tactical in intent, although strategic in content.)

The biggest thing the RP campaign accomplished was getting some more people to understand more about the myriad of ways States fund themselves by stealing from citizens in one tricky way or another... but it's mostly unknown to people how the financial system is rigged against them. Sadly that campaign was not devotedly an awareness campaign aimed at State defunding but a misplaced attempt for State reform, so that too is another layer we need to get out there.

We need, right now, to figure out and employ the best possible tactics appropriate to dissidents (and in general, small groups) to overcome the hump of inequality, in terms of awareness, resources, & people dedicated to opposing the State effectively, compared to others who are not effectively committed, finally compared to habitual conformists, and the State's true partisans.

Certainly a discussion that needs to continue on the PM forum, I think...

Phoenix @ Promethea.org
aka Wisdom Dancer
  • sabocat
  • Me, presently
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:21:16 AM »

In my time in the Wobblies, I was made to see that the State has to go more or less all at once.  The idea was to get everyone to simply stop working, buying, participating, via a 'general strike' until the State became irrelevant and shrivelled up.

Since the State has enough people fearful and dependent and unwilling to participate in such a thing, we must make an incisive, permanently-damaging move without the help of the masses.  Clearly, as you show, we can't wait for everybody, or, really, for anybody.  The time just isn't there, and they've shown historically that they're simply never coming.

• Phoenix
  • Promethean
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:48:51 AM »

All my best tactical ideas require a whole lot more people who want to participate than seems to be the case. The next best option seems to be focusing entirely on refining the quality of our understanding of relevant problems, and spreading that understanding around. Awareness and education, in other words, for those who want to learn—first of all, oneself. It would be nice to be more participatory as well, but you simply can't do so without something and somebody to work with. As far as I've observed, willingness to take action of enough people can only be found on very specific issues. For example, libertarians and specific liberties. So, you can cooperate on those issues, even with people who otherwise are of a radically different view. I do that. Yet, not a whole lot of people are willing to sit down and work on the serious and specific business of uprooting the whole statist system, even if they agree it's rotten. Way too many are willing to be distracted by less important issues and fail to build momentum to knock down those pillars; still others are basically afraid of change, even one they want, too afraid to make the changes in their own life to actually mobilize to affect it.

The really unfortunate thing is the absence of support for action on a holistic basis. And you don't solve the real problems without the ability to work with others who understand the need for a new paradigm, what sort of paradigm, and why. (Take those libertarians again, a minority anyway—unfortunately the vast majority of libertarianism is not a robust alternative model, but an objection to or series of critiques of statism, to varying degrees, and that's really the only uniting factor among them. I suspect an deserving alternative simply must go beyond politics as some kind of special realm aside from other personal, social, cultural, scientific and spiritual questions, i.e. it must embrace human philosophy as a whole project, in order to escape the narrowness of psychology in evidence in political philosophy.) As far as the basic  paradigm goes, I feel like everything I can practically do now is in the realm of developing understanding and education. It's time consuming and difficult, and I wish I could do more, but honestly I have no idea what else I can do.

Phoenix @ Promethea.org
aka Wisdom Dancer
  • sabocat
  • Me, presently
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:02:39 AM »

I think, frankly, that the only grand motivator will be a collapse, the right series of wrong moves by the State, or some other threat, created or long-coming.  Hate groups coming together, Chinese threat, cabal-inspired tyrannical camps here in America, Alex-Jones-type stuff, whatever.

People are going to need a light under their ass, and that may even be the case with people who have their eyes open.

Pages: [1]
Jump to: